Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Once upon a time....

So i was shooting hoops today, and i kinda had a mini ephiphany (lol for those who aren't so englishly inclined, an ephiphany is a sudden realisation... you know one of those lightbulb moments), and that was that I want to one day have a love story to tell my kids. A real life love story ya know.

Before i go any further this will be one of those super sappy posts that Ken does from time to time. Andre you have been warned =P On a secondary note, I do want to state that contrary to the fact that alot of what I write on me blog is about relationships and sappy stuff etc. I don't spend that much time thinking about that sorta thing. Well ok I do spend SOME, but bear in mind a blog is where you put those thoughts down... usually thoughts about emotions etc... this is what blogs are for right =P

So with the disclaimers over...

You know we live in a world where while we are forcefed this idea of what romance is... and what it should be (thank you dramas and movies). Its everywhere we look in terms of the media. Be it in sitcoms, cartoons, movies, dramas.. there is usually a subplot involving love. And usually there will be assorted romantic gestures as part of that.

But then, if we take away what we have in the media, alot of us don't seem to have any real life love stories to tell. I mean to be fair, alot of us don't even know what it really means to be in love. Goodness knows, i certainly don't. Not yet at least. Which leads me to my statement...

I want to have my own love story to tell my kids one day.

Rephrased, I want to be able to give my kids an example of what it means to be romantic... you know ... real AWWWW stuff. A story which by nature of the fact that they would obviously know the people involved would be just that much more ... i don't know... touching? Inspiring? My vocabulary is failing me at this point.

If there's one thing I'd like though, is that I would like to inspire my kids to one day expect or create romance. Because maybe what this world needs more of is romance!

Lol even if realistically, romance tends to be taking the choice that makes the least logical sense on the basis that you want to make another happy.

Frankly romance and common sense don't tend to go hand in hand....

But we love romance anyway.

As a son, I guess I've been lucky in this regard in that my dad has set a heck of an example. (though admittedly he never told us the sotry, was mum who did =P) See when mum and dad were dating, dad decided to go England to further his studies. And being who he was, he wanted mum to go with him too. Bear in mind at this point they were still kinda teens. Think mum was 18... and dad 20 something.. but i don't recall details. See dad had been given some money to go UK with (further studies and all that) but so that mum could go, he split the money with her and flew them both over.

Now mum and dad weren't very rich way back when. If anything they were just downright normal.... i mean seriously grandpa was a farmer, can't expect too much... so when they got there Dad worked odd jobs to support both him and mum.

Ok now, if you fail to seee the romance in that whole situation... well... you suck. Just that whole idea of taking what you have and splitting it so that you and your special person could stay together... and then supporting her when you guys were there. I'd call that romantic. Arguably horrendously silly in the sense it made life that much harder for him, but I know my dad does not regreat his choices.

And that's the example I want to live up to. I mean, I want to one day do something like that... lol not the exact same thing mind you (because lets face it. it's been done, i need my own story) but i want to do soemthing that would make people go... "damn... that's stupid. But ya know... it's awfully sweet..."

Can i do it?

I'd like to say I can...

and one day, i'll be sitting down with my kids....

and I'll go....

"Ya know... there was this one time....I did this one thing for your ma..."

And damn would that day be sweet.


Laters
~ken

No comments: